Wednesday, February 09, 2022

Introduction

Introduction 12-27-04 Salam All, I am starting to write my own personal and literal interpretation of the Qur’an. I am Muslim and therefore I do feel an obligation to learn more and to share what I learn with all, and therefore this work. The way I plan to proceed with this is through writing the Arabic as well as the transliteration of the Arabic. Explain the transliteration word for word in a fashion that will not be totally grammatically correct in English. I will explain the Arabic words as I understand them in “Qamoos Muheet” dictionary of Arabic. I will share what I understand as the essence of the word in my own opinion. Arabic words are interesting. Many words share one root word that may hold the essence of the meaning and then other derivatives. One element that I will use is to highlight a concrete word that is derived from the root in order to give the reader a better feel for the abstract meaning. Sometimes, the same root gives rise to two words that are opposite to each other in meaning. I plan to share my own understanding of the text as I read it. I understand that it is difficult to separate our own biases when reading religious texts. I hope that I will be very conscious of my own biases and therefore I will try to limit their effect on me. I will share with you my own background in order to help you know where I come from and therefore will help you be aware of my own weaknesses. I am muslim, Palestinian and I consider myself liberal. I believe that the understanding of the Qur’an needs to be made by all readers. I understand that I will make mistakes and I ask forgiveness from GOD and the people about that. I also hope to open the way for the brothers and sisters to share their own view and understanding of the Qur’an- as long as it is linguistically acceptable. The reason behind this work was the fact that I am very disenchanted as to the various misunderstandings of the Qur’an that I have seen in the English language. I am also very disenchanted with the various efforts at Translating the Qur’an to promote a particular pattern of thinking. Please understand that this work is not a forum. However, I welcome any effort that would correct a certain understanding of the Arabic. I also welcome any other PERSONAL understanding of the Qur’an, whether traditional, liberal, or in between, as long as that understanding is feasible linguistically, as long as the person submits to polite behaviour in the use of words and as long s the person is not passing judgement on anyone (No name callings especially KAFIR,MUNAFIQ or IDOLATOR) Such language is not going to be helpful to any conscious and serious effort at understanding the Qur’an. With GOD’s help and with your help we proceed to the next step. SALAM Hussein 2-1-2012 Salaam again, I thought that it is time to write some followup on my previous note that was written close to exactly 7 years ago. I am now on the gates of my 50th birthday. Al Hamdulillah, I am still working on this slow and very enlightening and enriching work. I do feel that I am learning from this effort as time passed and that my understanding of Islam and the Qur'an and the Arabic language. My better understanding of the Arabic made me appreciate and respect the books of tafsir especially that of Tabari because they shared with us some aspects of the understandings of the early Muslims. An understanding is rich and is in agreement with the linguistic meanings that I have been studying. I also found myself evolve in my own Islam and spirituality within the last seven years from a Qur'an aloner to a hadeeth skeptic to a person of Ahl Alhadeeth aided by my better understanding of the Qur'an as well as the better understanding and appreciation of the books of hadeeth and of the writings of the different great scholars of Islamic history. Also my understanding of certain words and roots can be changing with time so you may want to search the root and how it was used in different places to see my own evolution in that area. Jazakum Allah kheir for visiting and may Allah guide and help me and you to always come closer to Him and His religion. Hussein

Followup 2-9-2022
It is getting close to 20 years since I started and I have learnt a lot.  I hope that I have helped others and not misguided them.  The project is still ongoing.  Now that I turned 60 I do hope that I will be able to finish the work before my passing.  I keep learning more and appreciating the Qur'an more every day.
Hussein

7 comments:

āditya said...

I found your blog through online search... I'll start reading it from the beginning & will probably start a blog for my own progress with the Holy Quran. This is a wonderful idea! You have done wonderful work by publishing your efforts online! I wanted to go through the Quran without getting influenced by anyone else's bias, but by the actual meaning of the holy verses. Your blog makes it possible for me. (since I hardly know Arabic)

I'm going to recommend your blog to others... thank you for your service to the community, may you be blessed with Divine grace!

soumah said...

Thank you for this work. It is exactly what I have been searching for.

hussein said...

I appreciate your kindness

Hussein

AltafVisualfx said...

Very Helpful Thank You Very Much Can You Please Make this into a Pdf Document

hussein said...

I would love to but unfortunately I am not very tech savvy and do not know how to make it PDF. Hussein

Imran Ahmad said...

I can assist you on how to convert your work in PDF document. Feel free to contact me.

Imran

Long Island, New York

631-682-9776

Nader said...

Salaam, your work has helped me and many through me. It is well known that a good command of Arabic is primordial to unlocking different shades of meanings of the book of Allah. These various angles of understanding are important as they also help understand incidents in the historical and traditional reports.

Thank you, may Allah increase you in knowledge.