Monday, June 27, 2005

2:122

Salaam all,

This is 2:122
يَابَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ اذْكُرُواْ نِعْمَتِيَ الَّتِي أَنْعَمْتُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَأَنِّي فَضَّلْتُكُمْ عَلَى الْعَالَمِينَ
Ya banee isra-eela othkurooniAAmatiya allatee anAAamtu AAalaykum waannee faddaltukumAAala alAAalameena

The AYA says:
“Oh Children of Israel, remember and mention the Favor that I have bestowed upon you, and that I have provided you more, above the rest of humanity.”

My personal note:
This is an important note here since it may deal with the issue of the Chosen people. What the AYAH says is that GOD Provided the Israelites more than the rest of humanity. This does not mean that they were or are better than the rest of humanity.


Translation of the transliterated words:
Ya banee isra-eela: Oh Children of Israel
Othkuroo: remember and mention
Note: The root here is TH-K-R and it means To mention and to remember. OTHKUROO is an order form of a verb that is derived of this same root. The Verb is ATHKAR and it means mention and remember (To yourselves and to others), and this means remember and mention. The concrete word in this root is THAKAR and it means male as opposed to female. It is believed that the relationship is that males keep the mentioning and the memory of the father because they keep the name. Also, the male is used to mean active. As if suggesting that the memory is an active process.
niAAmatiya: My Favor/My soft and tender treatment
Note: The root here is N-AAa-M and it means to become soft and tender. NIAAaMATI is a noun that is derived from the root and it means My Soft and Tender treatment, or my Favor, since the favor is a soft and tender treatment.
Allatee: That
anAAamtu: I made Favor/I made soft and tender
Note: This is of the same root as mentioned above. ANAAamatu is a first person singular of a past tense of a verb that is derived from the same root and that means I made Favor/I made Soft and Tender
AAalaykum: On you
Waannee: And that I
Faddaltukum: I made you have extra or more/I provided you more (of good)
Note: The root is F-D-L and it means To become Having extra of good as opposed to To having Less. FADDALTUKUM is a second person past tense of the verb FADDALA and it means To Make (someone, group of people) have extra/more of good. What more did they have? Probably of the number of prophets or so and GOD knows best.
AAala: Over
alAAalameena: The World/everyone/The rest of humanity
AAalameen is a derivative of the word AALM which comes from KNOWLEDGE. Therefore al AAalameen can mean (The knowns). One potential way of understanding the AAaLAMEEN here is the world that is known to the Israelites and those are the rest of the humanity.

Salaam all and have a great day

Hussein

No comments: